Last Update: October 22nd, 2020
After DJI announced the new Mavic Air on January 23rd (a new drone between Mavic Pro and Spark, as light as an iPhone, and as fast as a car). Next drones to release from DJI will be DJI Mavic Pro 2 and DJI Phantom 5. The upcoming DJI Mavic Pro 2 will be announced in late Spring, 2018.
Here is the rumored specs of DJI Mavic Pro 2:
- Same design as Mavic Pro
- Larger than Mavic Pro
- Top speed: 45 mph in sport mode
- Binocular rear sensors
- Upgraded propulsion with larger motors
- A new generation of Active Track Feature
- Inferred 3D sensing system, avoid obstacles even in the dark
- New 1 inch image sensor, 24mm lens, aperture f/2.8 to f/11
- Improved Dynamic Range, Color sensitivity, ISO range, Noise Reduce and more, image quality equal to Phantom 4 PRO, 11 stops of dynamic range.
- PTZ will be redesigned to look like a miniature version of the Zenmuse X4s or Phantom 4 Pro
- D-Log & D-Gamut
- No mechanical shutter
- Newly designed 3-axis gimbal
- Flight time about 35min, 4820 mAh battery capacity, new 4s (15.2V) battery. Not compatible with the first generation of Mavic Pros
- Front face will be similar as Spark‘s front single-point infrared ranging module to achieve night-time obstacle avoidance.
- FlightAutonomy system upgraded, the new post-binocular vision sensing system that can detect obstacles in the rear of the aircraft in real time, giving before and after the flight safety and security.
You can take a look at DJI Mavic Pro 2 wish list below:
- Water resistance is one of the most anticipated feature. We are yet to see a waterproof or water resistant drone made by DJI. It does not necessarily have to be 100% waterproof, but some kind of a water protection would be a good improvement, especially for people who want to record water activities.
- Improved ActiveTrack feature. It is insanely popular but nevertheless, it has a tendency of losing its target and spinning around the area endlessly. By Improving this feature, DJI would surely cement their status as the number 1 drone manufacturer since Mavic 2 seems like it is going to be a huge hit. I just hope they don’t overinflate its price tag!
- Better flight time – The Mavic currently has a flight time of 27 minutes. The Mavic 2 should be able to fly for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Better range – The current Mavic has an impressive range of 4.3 miles. The next edition of the Mavic should be able to eclipse the 5-mile range no problem.
- Faster – The original Mavic can hit speeds of up to 40 mph. We wouldn’t be surprised if the new sportier Mavic 2 can top 50 mph.
- Improved camera and gimbal – The original Mavic camera is good and we’d expect the next edition to be better. We are hoping they can extend the field of view, which is currently about half of what the GoPro Karma offers. DJI is getting better at making cameras, we hope the Mavic 2 follows this trend. The gimbal tends to heat up quickly. We believe the new camera and gimbal combo will be better and more efficient.
- Better Obstacle Avoidance – The current Mavic has front camera sensors, but the Mavic 2 should have front and rear cameras to help it avoid obstacles.
- Quick Setup/Fly by Gesture – The DJI Spark was a game changer in that you can take the drone out and get flying in seconds. It wouldn’t be a surprise if the new Mavic 2 also had a quick setup option and could fly by gestures like the Spark.